Student benefits run from September 1 to August 31 annually.
The students of GPRC decided by referendum that all full time students were to be covered by extended health and dental insurance while studying at GPRC. With that mandate, the Students’ Association of GPRC has worked diligently to provide access to a comprehensive benefit plan while keeping the rates reasonable to ensure affordability for all students. To ensure that all students are covered, GPRC automatically applies the student health and dental plan fees to each eligible student’s financial account. If a student is already covered by another extended health and dental plan, the student has the option to keep the GPRC coverage to enhance their existing plan or to “opt out” of the GPRC student plan. Opting out MUST be completed prior to the “Opt Out” deadline or the student must pay the fee. To opt out, please scroll to bottom of page. For more details, please see below, visit www.studentbenefits.ca or drop into the Students’ Association’s office at G123 by Howlers.
An “eligible” student is defined as:
- are a member of the Students’ Association of GPRC; and
- enrolled in an applicable program at GPRC; and
- under the age of 65; and
- are residing in Canada; and
- covered under a provincial health care plan or equivalent.
Please note that international students must be covered by Alberta Health Care in order to access the benefits of the student benefit plan. Please contact Charlene MacIntyre, International Student Liaison for assistance or information regarding Alberta Health Care.
Programs starting after the last day to opt out may not be covered under the SAGPRC benefit plan.
NEW & RETURNING GPRC STUDENTS (2019-20 Academic Year)
Your benefit provider is The Campus Trust. All information regarding your Health and Dental coverage for the 2019-20 academic year, please click here. PLEASE make note of all dates as they are very important!
If you have any further questions or concerns, please stop by the SA office in Room G123 next to Howlers or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help you!
About Health & Dental Plans
If you are enrolled at GPRC, and meet the eligibility requirements (see above), you are automatically opted in to the health and dental plan. SAGPRC’s health and dental plan offers students many benefits such as dental, vision and, prescription coverage along with tuition insurance. The fees are as follows
Health & Dental Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the combined plan total is $379.00 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2019 to August 31st, 2020).
- For students enrolling in January, the combined plan total is $264.00 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2020 to August 31st, 2020).
Adding Dependants & Spouse:
Any full time student on the student benefit plan may add their spouse (married, common-law or same sex relationships are accepted) or dependant children (under the age of 21 and solely dependent upon the member for support) to the plan, for an additional fee, before September 30, 2019 deadline. (For students enrolling in January, the deadline is January 31, 2020).
*All add-on fees below are in addition to your Extended Health and/or Dental fee.
Add-On Fee when adding Dependents and/or Spouse to the Health and Dental Plan:
- For students enrolling in September, the fee to add one dependent is $379.00 (one-time fee) for coverage from September 1st, 2019 – August 31st, 2020 inclusive. Each additional dependent is $200.00 (one-time fee) for coverage from September 1st, 2019 – August 31, 2020, inclusive.
- For students enrolling in January, the fee to add one dependent is $379.00 (same as full year) for coverage from January 1st, 2020 – August 31st, 2020 inclusive. Each additional dependent is $200.00 for coverage from January 1st, 2020 – August 31st, 2020 inclusive.
Opting Out of Health and/or Dental Plan
- September Opt Out Deadline: September 24th, 2019 (Opens July 1, 2019)
- January Opt Out Deadline: January 22th, 2020 (Opens November 1st, 2019)
In order to opt out, you MUST fill out the online waiver and supply comparable coverage information prior to the deadline. Unfortunately, we are not able to make exceptions if you miss the deadline, so please make special note of the date if you plan on opting out. An example of comparable coverage would be benefits received from your employer or from a parent’s/spouse’s employer. Please note that Provincial Health Care coverage is not considered comparable coverage. For more information on comparable coverage, please visit the our office in room G123 or call us at 780-539-2962.
You will only need to opt out once unless you cease to be a student at GPRC a full academic year. If you take a ‘gap year’ or more, and have comparable coverage, you will need to opt out again.
Once your opt out is approved, your GPRC Student Financial account will be credited. If you have already paid the fee prior to opting out, please contact Student Services.