Special Note: 2016-17 GPRC STUDENTS – Your coverage under Great West Life (Gallivan & Associates) runs until August 31, 2017. Please ensure all of your claims for services are submitted prior to November 1, 2017. Any claims under Great West Life for the 2016-17 plan will not be honored after November 1, 2017.
The students of GPRC decided by referendum that all full time students were to be covered by extended health and dental insurance while studying at GPRC. With that mandate, the Students’ Association of GPRC has worked diligently to provide access to a comprehensive benefit plan while keeping the rates reasonable to ensure affordability for all students. To ensure that all students are covered, GPRC automatically applies the student health and dental plan fees to each eligible student’s financial account. If a student is already covered by another extended health and dental plan, the student has the option to keep the GPRC coverage to enhance their existing plan or to “opt-out” of the GPRC student plan. Opting out MUST be completed prior to the “Opt-Out” deadline or the student must pay the fee.To opt out, please scroll to bottom of page. For more details, please see below, visit www.studentbenefits.ca or drop into the Students’ Association’s office at G123 by Howlers.
An “eligible” student is defined as:
- are a member of the Students’ Association of GPRC; and
- enrolled in an applicable program at GPRC; and
- under the age of 65; and
- are residing in Canada; and
- covered under a provincial health care plan or equivalent.
Please note that international students must be covered by Alberta Health Care in order to access the benefits of the student benefit plan. Please contact Charlene MacIntyre, International Student Liaison for assistance or information regarding Alberta Health Care.
Programs starting after the last day to opt out may not be covered under the SAGPRC benefit plan.
NEW & RETURNING GPRC STUDENTS (2017-18 Academic Year)
Your benefit provider will be The Campus Trust. All information regarding your Health and Dental coverage for the 2017-18 academic year, please click here. PLEASE make note of all dates as they are very important!
If you have any further questions or concerns, please stop by the SA office in Room G123 next to Howlers or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help you!
About Health & Dental Plans
If you are enrolled at GPRC, and meet the eligibility requirements (see above), you are automatically opted in to the health and dental plan. SAGPRC’s health and dental plan offers students many benefits such as dental, vision and, prescription coverage along with tuition insurance. The fees are as follows:
Extended Health Plan Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the health plan fee is $177.48 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the health plan fee is $118.58 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Dental Plan Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the dental plan fee is $171.69 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the dental plan fee is $114.37 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Combined Health & Dental Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the combined plan total is $349.17 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the combined plan total is $232.95 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Adding Dependants & Spouse:
Any full time student on the student benefit plan may add their spouse (married, common-law or same sex relationships are accepted) or dependant children (under the age of 21 and solely dependent upon the member for support) to the plan, for an additional fee, before September 30, 2017 deadline. (For students enrolling in January, the deadline is January 31, 2018).
*All add-on fees below are in addition to your Extended Health and/or Dental fee.
Add-On Fee when adding Dependants and/or Spouse to your Extended Health Plan:
- For students enrolling in September, the fee to add your dependant children and/or spouse is $90.35.
- For students enrolling in January, the fee to add your dependant children and/or spouse is $60.23.
Add-On Fee when adding Dependants and/or Spouse to your Dental Plan:
- For students enrolling in September, the fee to add dependant child/children and spouse is $171.69. To add only your spouse, the fee is $130.29.
- For students enrolling in January, the fee to add dependant child/children and spouse is $114.46. To add only your spouse, the fee is $86.86.
Please note there will be a short waiting period starting at the beginning of September (or January for January enrolling students) before your coverage becomes active. Please keep all receipts for eligible expenses to be submitted to the insurer for reimbursement once the waiting period is over. For more information on making an expense claim, please click here.
Opting out of Health and/or Dental Plan
- September Opt-Out Deadline: September 18th, 2017 (Opens July 1, 2017)
- January Opt Out Deadline: January 18th, 2018 (Opens December 1st, 2017)
In order to opt out, you MUST fill out the online waiver and supply comparable coverage information prior to the deadline. Unfortunately, we are not able to make exceptions if you miss the deadline, so please make special note of the date if you plan on opting out. An example of comparable coverage would be benefits received from your employer or from a parent’s/spouse’s employer. Please note that Provincial Health Care coverage is not considered comparable coverage. For more information on comparable coverage, please visit the our office in room G123 or call us at 780-539-2962.
You will only need to opt out once unless you cease to be a student at GPRC a full academic year. If you take a ‘gap year’ or more, and have comparable coverage, you will need to opt out again.
Once your opt out is approved, your GPRC Student Financial account will be credited. If you have already paid the fee prior to opting out, you will receive a refund or credit.